The Los Angeles Dodgers are looking to make some moves during the offseason and there are two words that every baseball fan loves to hear, winter meetings. Other than free agents, the Dodgers will keep an eye out on their farm system to see if there are any potential candidates.
The Dodgers finished the 2016 season with a 91-71 record and was ranked sixth in MLB.
There will be options of acquiring multiple free agents during the offseason for the Dodgers and that will be the first place they will look.
The second option is, of course, their farm system in the minors. Since the Dodgers will be sign free agents, their draft status will change. In 2015, the Dodgers had the 25th draft pick in the first round and finished with a 20th pick after acquiring players.
Each club takes turn selecting players in the reverse order of their win-lose records in the previous season. If a team signs a free agent and the free agent rejects the team’s offer, will lose their first-round pick, unless the team is in the top 10.
MLB Draft 1st Round Picks:
- Twins (59-103)
- Reds (68-94); 63-98 in 2015)
- Padres (68-94; 74-88 in 2015)
- Rays (68-94; 80-82 in 2015)
- Braves (68-93)
- A’s (69-93; 68-94 in 2015)
- Diamondbacks (69-93; 79-83 in 2015)
- Phillies (71-91)
- Brewers (73-89)
- Angels (74-88)
- Rockies (75-87)
- White Sox (78-84)
- Pirates (78-83)
- Marlins (79-82)
- Royals (81-81)
- Astros (84-78; 86-76 in 2015)
- Yankees (84-78; 87-75 in 2015)
- Mariners (86-76; 76-86 in 2015)
- Cardinals (86-76; 100-62 in 2015)
- Tigers (86-75)
- Giants (87-75; 84-78 in 2015)
- Mets (87-75; 90-72 in 2015)
- Orioles (89-73; 81-81 in 2015)
- Blue Jays (89-73; 93-69 in 2015)
- Red Sox (93-69)
- Indians (94-67)
- Nationals (95-73; 83-79 in 2015)
- Rangers (95-67; 88-74 in 2015)
- Cubs (103-58)
In 2016, the Dodgers chose Gavin Lux from Indian Trail Academy in Kenosha, Wisconsin as their 20th pick and Louisville’s Will Smith as their 32nd pick.
The ball clubs will have to accept or decline the offer by 2 p.m. PT on the fifth day after the World Series ends.